The history of the Fattoria di Fubbiano and its wines is intertwined with that of the many owners who have succeeded each other and the countless people who have worked and lived there over time. The first information about the estate, which can be found in the parish records for the San Gennaro parish church, dates back to 1694, when the Archbishop of Lucca came on a pastoral visit to celebrate a mass in the chapel of the villa. Although its founders are still unknown, the Fattoria di Fubbiano is one of the best preserved examples of rural Lucchese architecture, with its mansion and agricultural buildings: the houses of the farmers, the wine cellars, the olive press and the storehouses.
Like so many historical estates in Lucchesia, it has faced a series of ups and downs, especially after the abolition of sharecropping, which made it very expensive to manage and resulted in it being repeatedly sold. However, despite this, the rural complex has never been damaged or divided, and its character has been preserved.
Wine has been produced here for centuries, but only began to be bottled in 1969, a year after the creation of the Colline Lucchesi DOC, on the initiative of one of Fubbiano’s legendary estate managers, Sauro Corsini.
To the then owner of the estate, Mr Orzali, we owe the name of our first bottled and labelled wine, the “Fubbiano Rosso”, and to his wife, descendant of the Danish House of Mailand, the coat of arms which still appears in the company’s logo. In the same year, 1969, another Corsini emerged, Marco, who would later follow in his father’s footsteps in running the company. This long-lived dynasty of theirs began in 1921 when Antonio, from Carrara, brought to Fubbiano the Vermentino that still produces a successful wine.
Another important turning point in the production of wine on the estate took place in 2010, when the construction of a new winery, enthusiastically promoted by Alfred Schiller, the current owner, allowed our wine tradition to be projected into the future. Innovation and experience have worked in synergy, stimulating the creation of new wines and ever-increasing qualitative research.
Behind us, a centuries-old history: that of the owners who have succeeded each other here, each of whom has marked their passage with important works, and that of the employees of yesterday and today. Each one of them is a drop of our wines and lives on in the memories and stories that, generation after generation, are handed down here on the estate.